Friday 17 February 2012

No alarms and no surprises

Is the name of one of my favourite Radiohead songs. Today I was listening to brahmacharya - which is the yogic nama of containment. Strictly speaking, it refers to celibacy. However, it is more wide ranging than this. For me, its about containing your prana, particularly on a physical level. Looking back on my relationships so far, I have become aware of how easily I fall for someone when I am under the heady spell of their physicality. The emotional connection can become confused with a physical one.
I think growing up, I rebelled against my strict Catholic upbringing by going in the opposite direction to what I was being taught both at school and at home. My poor mum would be tearing her hair out over how she could help me, when really I needed to learn for myself. Tantrums and tim tams became my coping mechanisms as a teenager when the boy that I had idolised moved onto greener pastures.
'Suffering comes from relying on another to give to us what we can give to ourselves'. This is part of the teachings of brahmacharya, going within - choosing solitude and silence on a regular basis.
When I was a little girl, this came naturally to me - I was an A student in religion and would never miss church as it gave me a chance to connect with the divine. Re - connecting with that now through yoga has reminded me to love myself enough to really attract the things and people that are more aligned with me. I'm going walking to one of my favourite places tomorrow with two of my favourite people. One of us is driving, the other doing breaky..etc. This is the divine side to life - the amazing people and experiences that come when you ask for them mindfully.
 I'm single, but is no longer an alarming label for me, it just is. And unlike the Radiohead song, it is full of surprises.
Wishing you all a divine day xo

No comments:

Post a Comment