Saturday 25 February 2012

Nice girls do say no.

Yoga teaching has taught me the importance of boundaries. Being a woman, I think I speak on behalf of my gender when I say that we are conditioned to be 'yes' people. Polite, well mannered; 'yes sir, two bags full sir'. As a result of this, 'no' can come out as a question rather than an answer.
The butterflies in the belly often guide us in the right direction. If a 'yes' creates a flutter then the choice we are about to make may be an 'epic fail'. It could lead one down the yellow brick road of old habits. And it is true what they say, these do die hard. Looking within, ask yourself, what does this do for me? Is it in line with my goals and or values? Not to encourage selfishness here, but more a sense of self respect.
A dear friend uses the analogy of a jam jar when talking about her prana. Be choosy who you give it to or what you do with it. Being spent from step class is blissful..whereas being taken advantage of..epic fail yet again. So in spreading my jam wisely, I do get in sticky situations and sometimes the grapefruit bitterness can momentarily override the sweet strawberry. But life is a constant opportunity of choosing the opportunities that make your soul sing. Mine today is writing while it's raining outside and lasagna is on the boil. Bouna! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment