Friday 12 October 2012

Never did me any harm…awareness of ahimsa



The easiest way to take off a band aid is to rip it to within an inch of its life, leaving a red mark behind. Delaying it only prolongs the pain. I choose this analogy to talk about ahimsa – the yogic yama of non - violence.  A yama being an abstentation, or a refraining. In this case, refraining from violence to oneself or others.  This was the yama that began my term of yoga yesterday – my Friday morning class where I can and do relish being a student.  And as always, the teacher appears when the student is ready.  That night I went to a fab comedy night with one of my even fabber friends. Fast forward to conclusion of evening…Walking back to my car, hit the on switch for my phone and am rudely greeted by an abusive text.  And for the first time I didn’t even open it. I knew the sender by the number. To open this text would have been an act of violence towards both myself and inadvertently the sender. I’ve learnt by experience that to hit ‘ return to sender’ only draws one further down the rabbit hole of victimhood.
Being cruel to be kind comes to mind when reflecting on this yama.  Non violence may at times feel the opposite.  Catholic upbringing and an all girls school = being nice means being amenable to all.  As I walked through my life I tended to be walked over, choosing the role of doormat over doer. And when I tried on the pants of assertiveness, they definitely took a bit of getting used to. People are fighting so many battles and when we receive abuse from other in whatever form; it is really about them. To take it personally…well go watch ‘Catfish’ to see how well that experiment actually turns out. To paraphrase, there is no happy ending here.  Imagine a void of your former self and you have the picture.  
And with ahimsa comes its counterpart, fear. Acting non violently takes more courage than cowardice. . It harks back to the comfy couch of comfort zones. It does take two to tango. And for a while my carpet became quite high from the truths I kept sweeping under there; avoiding the biggest truth of all – I was sabotaging my self.
I took the title for this blog from the title one of my favourite choreographer’s dances. The divine Kate Champion, whose work never fails to make me cry, is a risk taker. Building a carpet around us to fool us into believing we have the life we want only serves to take us further away from it.  Saying no to all that isn’t good for you truly allows us to choreograph the most amazing dance ever. Because it is full of surprises and opportunities, rather than disillusionment and despair.
So as I hit delete on my phone and drove myself home, there was definitely fear swirling around…but there was also that sense of freedom that comes from being a warrior. So there were tears before bedtime. Tears of relief, grief and hope. Grief from the hole that is left behind when someone leaves our life. Relief for the self whose reigns I have taken hold of again. And hope that my strength of self and letting go will in turn set others free.

No comments:

Post a Comment