Saturday 6 October 2012

LGB...On the importance of having fun


This acronym is the name of the wine I picked up in Canberra last weekend on the way home. Lake George something…Anyway, the sales pitch given to me prior to purchase was a question. Do you like fun? And from there on in, I felt like my guard had dropped.  This was clearly a man who loved both his job and his product. And that makes for a pretty convincing sales man.
I think I must have needed reminding of the fun component of life as I waded through the long drive from Jervis Bay to Wodonga – admittedly with an added detour through the Canberra wineries.  As you do and as I almost didn’t.  Part of the reason I took a tree change from Sydney was that on many levels I needed to lighten up. That and be open to what life has to offer. And this can at times be a hairy one, as again it comes down to a question of balance.  We have our responsibilities in life, both to ourselves and to others.  I raised an internal eyebrow at myself many a time as I packed my car and moved away. But if you don’t pose a question, you never get an answer.  And new opportunities come to enrich and challenge you.
This week sees me returning somewhat to a role not dissimilar to the one I had in Sydney. I’d like to think but that I will now approach my role with a new found sense of lightness. Working with young people in particular give us the ultimate opportunity to let our guard down.  And there is responsibility with that. I guess it’s somewhat like being a mother… you want to pass on essential life skills and role model positive behaviour patterns. But don’t underestimate the power and potential of youth.  I’ve learnt so much from my students and the best lessons I’ve ever had are the ones that have been co-directed. So as I sit planning my lessons, rather than re-visiting old fears and hang ups, I’m taking in the joy of the material before me and picturing greatness rather than glibness.
The mind is a pretty powerful thing. I have yoga to thank on so many levels for allowing me to use my mind in a more effective way. The simple act of choosing a positive thought, of transforming a negative behaviour pattern into a constructive one.  A sentiment comes to me in times of hardship…’be the change you wish to see in the world’. I’ve lost the author of this beautiful statement, whose words never fail to ring true. I want to teach because I want to continue to learn.
And making mistakes goes hand in hand with this. To quote Fiona Apple ‘I’ve acquired quite a taste for a well made mistake’.  Fear of failure keeps greatness at bay. Often the fear in our heads is much worse than anything life can throw at us.
My teacher in Queensland speaks about joy levels and the importance of these.  Her great quote ‘don’t be so serious of course you can be silly’ and vice versa reminds me of the middle ground.  Of allowing joy in, especially amidst the seriousness.  Isn’t a yoga fart the ultimate example of this?

No comments:

Post a Comment