Sunday 14 October 2012

Fairy Dust


Hopes and dreams are nothing if not precious.  I gave myself permission to dream today by taking myself on my own long Sunday restorative yoga practice. And it was the hardest thing…I was prepping myself for my evening class and just as well I did as there was surprisingly a lot of noise in my head.  All the things I wanted to do with my life started to line up and form a queue around me.
Sunday was traditionally a day of rest. I’m reading a book by Judith Laseter about the importance of ‘being’ time.  Which is what I found challenging about the restorative sequence. It sort of comes down to truth. As a teacher of both yoga and creative arts, to cut corners is to cut your experience really. So as I lay on the bolsters and blankets, something started to happen, stillness. It’s funny how slowing down actually allows you to get more done in the long run. School prep check, exercise...etc.  As for the small stuff, nowhere nearly as sweaty.  
I’m often telling my students to breathe into the present moment as this is the most controversial thing we can do. That sentiment often sits hand in hand with ‘the universe is unfolding as it should’. And it’s actually wow to really let that thought wash over you as you let your body breathe over different props. Because the present is our fairy dust.
My weekend papers are often sitting on the kitchen bench, still unread, come the following weekend. But today I actually read them cover to cover. Noticing books I wanted to read, dance shows I wanted to see and exhibitions worth visiting. Ah, so I’m saving at the moment. My book shelf is already overflowing, my local area has awesome exhibitions and as for dance, well I’ll always have salsa. So the fairy dust that we receive in the present is bliss. Bliss that comes from the knowledge that we already have all that we want.
I felt I have gone on a bit of a tangent, but writing, like any creative art, is a flowing rather than a fixed thing. However, through line...fairy dust.  It exists in many forms.  So be still and make sure you let it surround you.
To close I’ll leave you with the words of India Arie: ‘let’s just sit and watch nature put on a show’.

No comments:

Post a Comment