Monday 16 April 2012

Raise your glass..

Top song by the goddess of pop herself, Miss Katy Perry. Just got back from my new favourite suburb, Albert Park, where my fellow yogis were doing just that. I've got till August till I can do the same. It was good to see that my friends could live yogic lifestyles and not be too regimented in their approach to life. Especially since we had all done a weekend of intense yoga. There comes a time and indeed a place where a glass of moscato does not go astray.
Going into this weekend, I had the choice to either go to a gig on the Thursday night or to see a beautiful teacher, Amma, who was visiting Melbourne. I chose the gig, in support of my friends and also to remind myself that life is about balance. Your guitar playing mates can teach you as much about life as many a spiritual teacher can, as they are the ones who 'keep it real'. At the risk of sounding like I'm blabbing, I've come to the conclusion that life is more about colours than it is black and white. I can be a fit and healthy yogi who goes to the pub, runs and reads Vogue magazine religiously.
Flexibility is a trait that is exhibited best when applied internally and externally. What I learnt most from this weekend is taking my practice off the mat. Being kind to myself in poses and listening to my body also translates to allowing myself to go to the comedy festival, get lost in a different city and try new things. Ps on the last one, steak frites is amazing. One of the classes I took ended with the teacher's heartfelt thanks for his students being his 'teachers'. Beautiful, honest and humble. We are our own teachers.
So on that note, I'll leave you with a pertinent thought from the weekend. We can choose to live our lives from a place of either inspiration or a rehashing of past experiences. I spent a large part of this weekend clearing up some of my past debris, so that I could let go of old patterns. What I found was that new opportunities come along when you have faith in yourself and know what your heart desires. I know I don't want to adhere to a particular model that someone or something else has dictated to me. I fell in love with Melbourne as my soul loves change and variety. I'm realising that the picket fence is not really my thing and that's perfectly ok. We do indeed only have this moment now and what inspires me is knowing that I have the power and the passion to choose my life path. Your heart will indeed point you in the right direction. Sweet dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment