Saturday 15 November 2014

Homecoming Queen


Where were you yesterday? Now that my heart is wide and free and my lips have room to wonder.
‘Hootie and the Blowfish’ are many things to me, but mostly they are my go to cd when I need a cuddle. Music has that amazing power to lift us to that place where we always belong – home. For me, yesterday, seeing a snap of the Sydney Dance Company literally turned my stomach with homesickness.  Some things are never meant to lay dormant in our hearts for too long. But how do we bridge that gap between meeting our hearts desires and being where we are? If home is where the heart is, can home truly be anywhere?
 Things often don’t turn out as they have done in the past, as our world; just like ourselves, exist in a constant state of change.  The best is yet to come, but we need to slow down and smell the roses.  A god friend of mine used to tell me to change the record, you know the one in your head that tells you to stay safe and do what you have always done.  Changing a record leads to a new beginning, as we come to realise that pearls can only be found if we take the time to open the oyster. By this analogy I mean that stopping and taking stock should be part of life’s little rule book.
There is a new record in every one’s brain…it’s in the act of our wandering eyes, our daydreams and our random smiles for no reason. These all come from a sacred place within us. Why do we let the things we hold sacred slip through our fingers? We deserve so much more than we ever allow for ourselves. Letting a desire take its course is a risk worth taking, whilst holding on to what is true within us. Trust in the madness and uncertainty, shake hands with a stranger.
I revisited the concept of ‘satya’ on the drive to Beechworth today and was reminded of the importance of truth.  If, at the end of the day, we can come home to ourselves, then we are never truly lost. For me, the ballet barre may now be further away, but it’s reality and memories are always firmly at home in my heart.  And other oysters have presented themselves to me – Beechworth being one of them. A town that was born on dreams: the gold rush era. Walking through this town, tasting its honey and breathing in the air of its cobbled streets, I can’t help but be reminded that our ancestors have paved the way for us to dream big.

So, like ‘Hootie and the Blowfish’ say so well, let your heart be wide and free. You are home.

No comments:

Post a Comment