Friday 17 October 2014

Blue Crush


After having spent a weekend in Sydney doing what I love, I am reminded of the little things that grow into the big things we call us. This weekend was about dharma. In layman’s terms, this means our true path in life. At the completion of my short few days, I had mine: ‘I embrace vulnerability’.  Choosing to be an environmentalist and a yoga teacher are two professions that call for vulnerability – they make up the job description whether we like it or not.  So vulnerability to me more than anything means opening ourselves to the world.
Make my life matter, these things matter to me as they both ground me – they ground all of us I believe. The willows in the backyard of my childhood were magical. They mattered to me as they helped me to let go of the unnecessary cruelties that call befall us as we grow up.  They matter to me now even more so than they mattered to me then. I still have the little girl naivety that the planet matters to all people due to its sheer beauty. Walks in nature and swims in the ocean connected me back to me.
 I was reminded of the importance of living from love, rather than fear. With love, we can do many things, but the opposite is true when it comes to fear. It’s scary leaving behind what we know, especially when the destination is unclear. Risks are scary, but a pre requisite for rewards.  The scariest thing is to not do anything in the face of fear. Prime example being going for what we want in life, we hold the reigns.  And the funny thing is we often get what we ask for.
Yoga, like a tree, is all about foundations. The air we breathe allows us to be who we are. Our foundation comes from mother earth. Our ability to take a balance pose like tree comes from trusting in the earth below to support us. And trust is the key to walking along the yellow brick road of life. Our opportunity to look after both ourselves and our planet is literally on our doorsteps now. Whatever part of the planet matters to you, make your voice heard - -loudly and proudly. I have a big, great blue crush on the ocean. It is my playground, my solace and my inspiration.  For me, it feeds me as a yoga teacher and in turn allows me to give back to my students.
A balanced life requires that we play. Just because we grow into adults does not mean that we should throw our book of fun out the car window. So play in the playground that you cherish. Hold in your heart the joy that this gives you, regardless of the unclear path ahead. Forge forward and fight for your playground, your balance and your joy.

Namaste x  

No comments:

Post a Comment