Friday 16 March 2012

Goodbye Griff

Tomorrow marks the anniversary of a good friend's death. Thanks to Cameron Crowe's cathartic 'Elizabethtown' for reminding me of the cleansing qualities of crying. I will always miss him, as friends that are dear to us never leave our heart space; despite their physical departure. Both my friends and this film, however, remind me of the importance of really hugging our dreams rather than simply existing. I loved that both of these people took risks. As I am only beginning my writing career, there will be failures and rejections. That's without even really considering all the behind the scenes stuff. 
One of the ideas from the film that really stood out to me was that of sticking around to withstand the fallout from failures. I remember, fondly now, Griff teasing me about my many job opportunities that I'd be talking to him about. Friends can tell it like it is, as he had a sense of deep respect and love at his core. He came to visit me when I was teaching at a school far from home, sharing a laugh about my stories. I felt so supported and understood, even when he wasn't physically present.
As the sun started to peak out from the rain this evening, I felt his light shining down on me, reminding me to do the things that scare me and to laugh at myself in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment